I’m not usually a fan of hot weather – being pale and freckly means I need factor 50 and shade. However, I’ve actually quite enjoyed the last few weeks of sunshine and I’ve learned a few tricks to help keep both myself and the kids cool along the way. During this hottest time of the year, it’s important to learn ways of making life a bit easier.
Here are 30 hot weather hacks you NEED to know this summer:
1. Cut grapes in half and freeze for a cool summer snack
2. Hang a shoe organiser in the hall to store go-to items like sunglasses and sunscreen so you’re ready for whatever summer fun comes your way.
3. Cool the kids down with a rainbow drink. Freeze cranberry, pineapple, orange and kiwi fruit juices in an ice cube tray. Pop in water for a refreshing colourful drink.
4. Get instant relief from sunburn by freezing cubes of aloe vera gel. Once frozen, apply to sunburned skin
5. Keep your tub of ice cream in a sealed sandwich bag to keep it soft
6. Freeze flowers and small toys in ice cubes. Kids will love playing with the cubes – watching and feeling them melt.
7. Keep kids entertained by filling balloons with water (and food colouring if you want to be fancy) and freezing them. Watch how they melt http://www.science-sparks.com/ice-play/
8. Put coffee in an ice tray so when you make iced coffee it doesn’t get watered down
9. Roll up damp flannels and pop them in the freezer. Take them with you the next day in a plastic bag, unwrap them and place over your face to cool down.
10. Avoid dripping ice lollies by poking a hole in the bottom of a small cupcake case and sticking the lolly stick through. No more sticky fingers!
11. Going on a picnic? Freeze water bottles and use them as freezer packs for your cooler which you can drink when melted.
12. Create a water balloon pinata Fill a few balloons with water, hang them on your washing line and let the kids bash ’em (safely) until they burst.
13. Mix vanilla extract with water and apply to skin with cotton wool as a natural mosquito repellent.
14. Keep little ones cool in the heat by freezing their favourite fruit in an ice cube tray. Try blending fruits before freezing.
15. Sprinkle talc-free baby powder on sandy legs and feet. It will dry the sand and make it easy to brush off.
16. Give kids vitamin-packed frozen berries as a tasty snack.
17. Stop your smartphone getting covered in sand and water on the beach by zipping it up in a resealable plastic bag. You can still see the screen but it’s protected.
18. Keep creepy crawlies out of drinks by placing an upside down cupcake case over the glass and pushing a straw through.
19. Hide your car keys and phone from opportunists on the beach inside a clean nappy. Just remember which one is the fake before throwing it in the bin.
20. Do you forget when to reapply sunscreen? Write a timetable on your bottle or set the timer on your phone to remind yourself.
21. Ease the itch of a mosquito bite by dabbing toothpaste on the affected area. Keep a sample tube in your bag on holiday for emergency application.
22. Bring a balloon in your pool bag on holiday if your little one gets clogged ears from swimming. Have them attempt to blow up the balloon.
23. Keep ants and other bugs out of a sandpit by mixing in a cup of cinnamon. The cinnamon naturally repels ants and other bugs
24. Fill water balloons using a squeezy sauce bottle. no more tearing when you use the tap.
25. Make a race track for the garden, like this one from Ramblings from Utopia by cutting a pool noodle in half lengthways and fixing side by side on steps or a chair. Great for marbles or toy cars.
26. Take a shower curtain to the beach for a makeshift paddling pool, like one mum on instagram
27. Use a hairdryer on the cool setting – not hot! – to inflate a paddling pool or beach ball without passing out, as demonstrated by Zillow
28. Cut a watermelon into small rectangles to make them easier for little hands and mouths to manage
29. Freeze fresh mint in an ice cube tray with a little water to add to cocktails or iced tea
30. Half an hour before serving food, place bowls of lemon halves topped with cloves on the table to keep flies at bay
What are your top summer hacks? I’d love to hear in the comments below.
If you enjoyed reading 30 hot weather hacks you NEED to know this summer, please share this post.
For more ideas to keep cool in the summer, check out 7 fun ice play ideas